SimplyRFiD Wave User Manual
Wave is an iOS mobile application that allows users to perform audits and inventories. Wave users can perform multiple inventories offline and sync; or take inventory and audit in real-time. Multiple Wave Handhelds (iPhone + CSL CS108 Handheld) can connect and share data to a Pogi server.
Wave also makes it easy to associate tag items individually or by batch using the QT (Quick Tag) Tool. The Wave app also contains search capability to help narrow down where an item is located.
Collects Tag information:
- Electronic Product Code (EPC)
- Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI)
- Time and Date of when it was collected
OS: iOS 13+
Support Applications: CSL Objective-C library, CS108-2 Handheld
Hardware: iPod Touch/iPhone SE/iPhone 11 Pro Max, CSL CS108-2 Handheld
API: HTTPS/REST, Push notifications
Battery Life: 4 hours continuous use, or better
- Press the power button for three (3) seconds to turn on the device. The Bluetooth indicator should be blinking.
- Enable Bluetooth on the mobile device.
- Open Wave app on the mobile device.
Note: Continue with the next Steps only when the app is installed on the mobile device for the first time.
- After Wave recognizes that the app is newly installed, it will prompt to select a handheld device to pair.
- Select the desired handheld device from the list. This should establish a connection between Wave and the selected handheld device.
- Another prompt will appear asking to allow this app to use GPS, click "Allow While Using App" to allow the app to save the tag GPS coordinates in the inventory.
- Once connected, scan the provided QR Code or 2D Barcode using the CSL Handheld. Configuration from the server will load and commit to requirements in establishing a connection.
Note: For Local installation of Pogi server, a prompt will appear asking to allow the app to find and connect to devices on the local network, press "OK". Otherwise, enable it by going to the iPhone Settings > Privacy > Local Network > Enable the toggle for Wave to enable server connection. If you encounter the "Invalid Login" warning, scan the provided QR Code or 2D Barcode to reconnect.
The navigation pane is at the bottom of the Wave application. You can easily navigate to the Inventory, Quick Tag, Search, and Settings page by tapping the icons.
Inventory is a tool to associate RFIDs to a specific location. The user can associate RFID tags to an existing location or create a new one. Squeeze the trigger to fill the RFID pane with tags. Enable the GPS to fetch the current location of the device. You can then add that information when submitting an inventory.
- Location - A list of locations. To create a new location, tap on the location component and click on the New Location button, a modal screen will show with an empty text field. Type-in the desired location name, then tap Confirm.
- Inventory Options - Provides additional options for the user. Pressing this will open a modal showing additional settings for the Inventory page.
- Item Count - Displays how many items were found and is on the RFID pane.
- Save - Listed tags on the RFID Pane will be sent to the server and will be associated with the current Location. Note: A red numbered indicator will appear on this button if it detects tags from another location, a new popup will let the user to select items to be added into the current location.
- Marker - Displays the nearest RFID Marker tag that will be associated with the tag scanned near it. This feature can be enabled in the Inventory Settings of the Wave Settings page.
- RFID Pane - Found Items will be listed in this pane. The user may display information. Pulling down the inventory list will force data sync with the server.
This section shows all of the settings for the Inventory page.
- Location - Select a location to display items.
- Aura Mode - Start continuous RFID tag scanning and monitoring.
- Display - Option for filtering out Missing, Found or All inventory items in the RFID pane.
- Report - Option for sending report for Missing, Found or All inventory items.
Aura Mode is a tool for real time inventory tracking, similar to a fixed RFID Reader. Press the Aura Mode button in the Inventory Options to activate this tool.
Clicking the Start button will initiate the handheld RFID scanner to start scanning for any tags in the set location, which will then be updated real time in the Pogi inventory. The time interval for sending updates to the Pogi server can be changed through the Aura Stream Interval under the Inventory Settings of the Wave Settings page.
Markers are unique additional grouping indicators for the tags in the inventory. It is for marking specific areas inside a massive location. For example, a warehouse can have different markers assigned for each rack it has. You can check the markers created on the Quick tag page in the Marker Management page of the Pogi Server.
The items scanned in the inventory page will be associated to the nearest marker tag as indicated on top of the inventory screen. This feature can be enabled through the Marker toggle button in the Inventory settings under the Utilities section of the Wave Settings page.
The marker can then be used to group the items in the Pogi Historical View page through the Marker Filter.
Quick Tag is a tool for commissioning asset identifications to an RFID tag. Additional fields can be selected and added for the asset through the Quick Tag Settings in the Settings page. To learn more on how to add tags using Wave you can check the Getting Started with Wave guide.
Note: Network connection is required to commission tags.
- Image selector - Ability to add or capture an image to associate with the tag. Drag screen down to show image selector.
- Mode selector - Switches mode between Asset (Single Tag), Batch (Multiple Tags) and Marker.
- Location - Displays the locations that can be associated with a new tag.
- Tag ID - Editable text field for manual input. This field is exclusive only to hexadecimal characters with a maximum of 24 characters in length. Users can select this field and point the RFID scanner to the tag to input the RFID value.
- Asset ID - Editable text field for inputting desired asset identification. Users can select this field and point the barcode scanner to an asset code, to input the asset value to the field.
- Additional Fields - Editable fields for additional manual data input. These fields can be enabled or disabled from the Quick Tag Settings of the Settings page.
- Save - It will send a request to the server to associate the Asset ID with the desired RFID, location and the additional entries. In Marker mode, the Asset ID, RFID and location will be associated as a location marker.
This tool is used for creating new Marker tags that will be used for the Markers feature. Multiple markers can be created in a single location as long as its Tag ID is unique.
Search is a tool for tracking the location of RFID tags by observing the RSSI values of found tags. RFID scanning will start once the handheld trigger is squeezed. The detected tags will be displayed real time on the RFID pane with their respective RSSI value.
- Search Bar - Real-time search functionality for narrowing down the search result to entries with the inputted characters.
- Strength Indicator - The selected entry’s RSSI is displayed in this component.
- Found Indicator - Counts the total tags found.
- RFID Pane - Found RFID tags will be listed in this pane. Found tags also show their current RSSI.
This utility can search specific items in the inventory by typing the RFID value or the Name of the tag in the Search Bar. Once entered, the RFID Pane will show all of the search result.
Editing Item Information
Item information can be viewed and edited by sliding the item’s row to the left and pressing the Info button.
This will open the Info page where the item information can be modified directly. Fields that can be edited has a darker font color.
Locating Items using RFID
The Search tool can be used for locating items. Tap on the item row to highlight its RSSI strength on the Strength Indicator and then hold the trigger of the handheld to start scanning. The direction of the selected item can be determined by pointing the handheld's RFID antenna to where it has the highest RSSI strength. The increasing RSSI strength and increased beep frequency will indicate the item proximity.
The Settings page contains configurations and firmware information of the Wave application and paired handheld.
The Handheld Information section displays all of the settings and information about the handheld device paired with the Wave application.
- Wave - Displays the current application version.
- Handheld - Displays the selection of handheld devices that can be paired and used with the application. Instructions for changing the paired handheld reader is found here.
- Battery Level - Displays the current handheld battery level.
- Power - Pressing this opens a window that has a slider for adjusting the RF scanning power for the Inventory, Aura Mode and Search page.
- Mode - This toggle button switches the scan mode to RFID or Barcode for the Inventory page.
- BT Firmware - Displays the Bluetooth firmware version of the handheld.
- RFID Firmware - Displays the RFID firmware version of the handheld.
- IC Firmware - Displays the handheld firmware version.
- Serial - Displays the serial number of the handheld device.
- Board Version - Displays the board version of the handheld device.
The Server section displays all of the configuration and information of the connected server.
- Config - Displays the current server configuration of the app from the scanned QR Code, tapping this will open the server Setup page.
- Tag Prefix - Displays the set filter for scanning tags.
- Protocol - Displays the web protocol of the server (HTTP or HTTPS).
- Address - Displays the connected server address.
- Version - Displays the connected server version.
The Server Setup page grabs the configuration needed to run the application and access APIs to the server by asking the user to scan the provided QR Code or 2D Barcode using a CS108 handheld reader. This page is also displayed when it is newly installed.
The Utilities section displays all of the Wave Application tools settings.
- Inventory - Opens the settings for the Inventory page.
- Quick Tag - Opens the settings for the Quick Tag page.
- Search - Search page settings.
- Navigation - Opens the default navigation App selection.
- Marker Tag List - Marker Tags settings.
- Battery Saver - Opens the setting for Battery Saver mode.
The Inventory settings displays the options available for the Inventory page.
This toggle button enables or disables the detection of Marker Tags for the Inventory page when scanning. Note: For accurate marker acquisition on locations with marker tags close to each other, RF scanning power needs to be lowered accordingly in the Handheld Section of Settings.
Location Exclusive Mode
This toggle button enables or disables the filter for inventory scan to only detect tags that are associated with the selected Inventory Location.
Aura Stream Interval
This is for selecting the update interval for Aura Mode.
RFID Text Only
This toggle button will set the Inventory List to only show the RFID tag value of the items.
Commissioned Only Mode
This toggle button will set the Inventory RFID scan to exclude RFID tags that are not part of the inventory.
Quick Tag Settings
The Quick Tag settings displays the options available for the Quick Tag page.
Pressing this opens a window that has a slider for adjusting the RF scanning power for the Quick Tag Tool. By default it is set at 80 which is optimal for detecting the nearest tag to the handheld RFID scanner antenna.
Verify Scanned Tags
This toggle button will set the tagID field of the Quick Tag to check first of the scanned RFID tag is already in the inventory before filling up the other fields. On the Asset tab, if the scanned tag is already in inventory the user will have the option to directly edit the tag; while on the Batch tab, it will overwrite all of the tags with the new information.
This section contains the list of all available fields the Quick Tag tool. Each field can be displayed or hidden on the Quick Tag tool by using the individual toggle buttons beside them. Note: If new entry fields under this section are not yet displayed, you may need to close the Wave app (Click here to learn on how to close running apps) and start it again for it to load the new fields correctly from the server.
The User Manual button provides a direct link to the online User Manual for the Wave application.
The setting for doing automatic update in iOS is enabled by default. In case the user has disabled automatic update for all applications, here are the steps for manual updates or re-enabling auto updates.
- Open the Apple App Store, then click on Today button at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the profile icon at the top of the screen to open the Account page.
- Check the list for pending updates for Wave.
- Click on the Update button next to the Wave app.
Enable Automatic Updates
Open the phone's Settings > App Store. Then turn on App Updates.
The Wave app can disconnect and change the paired CS108 handheld reader, here are the steps for changing the handheld reader.
Changing handheld reader through the Settings Page
Navigate to the Settings page and tap Handheld.
Click the paired CS108 handheld (indicated with a check mark) to disconnect.
Click Yes on the dialog box to disconnect the handheld.
The device selection list will refresh the list with all the available CS108 handheld.
Select the new CS108 handheld device to pair.
Changing the handheld reader during Startup
Make sure that only the new CS108 handheld reader is powered on and is not paired to other devices.
Start the Wave Application.
While the application splash screen is still loading, tap and hold on the Wave logo for 4 seconds until the device selection page appears.
Tap on the new CS108 handheld reader that appears on the device selection page to connect.
New QR Code can be generated for the Wave app through the Pogi Server. Here are the steps for creating one:
Login to Pogi Server using your user account
Navigate to the User Management Page of Pogi
Click the Add User button
Fill in the details needed
Click OK to create the new account
Click on the Action Menu button on the rightmost side of the user account
Click on QR Code button to display the new QR code
Scan the new QR using the Wave app to connect